Whether you are planning to repair or replace your roofing you need to remember that roofing is a complex home improvement task and homeowners should not readily jump into it. It is a better idea to leave it to the professionals rather than undertaking a DIY project. Some homeowners learn a little bit from the internet or books and are eager to apply this knowledge to their roofing project. However, this leaves them subject to commit mistakes such as these.
1. Over expenditure: One of the most popular reasons why homeowners are keen on a DIY roofing project is because they think it will save money. But in reality, it may cost them more than expected as there is a possibility of the use of inferior material that may get damaged easily. If some material gets damaged you will have to replace it and as a result, you end up spending more on the same item rather than saving money.
2. Failing to comply with the requisite permits: Whether you are getting the roofing replaced or repaired, you are required to get a permit before you can perform further work on it. However, many homeowners opting for the DIY project for the roofing tend to disregard this necessary procedure. It also can place the insurance coverage of the roof in danger in case it is needed. If you have a roofing contractor there is no need to worry about the permits as they can handle it all for you.
3. Cause further damage to the roofing: When you are inexperienced at conducting a residential roofing repair project and you attempt a DIY, there is a possibility of further damage to the roofing rather than having the issue fixed. The experts can tell you that just walking on some shingles on top of the roofing may lead to damage. It may cause leakage that can compromise the overall structure of the roofing.
4. Ignorance to safety: Along with the fact that roofing is a complex task, a DIY attempt is not recommended to the homeowners simply because of the danger to their safety and health. When you are performing a DIY on the roof, remember that you will have to climb on top and if you are unaware of the safety measures required, you can easily fall off the roof and injure yourself seriously in the process.
5. Improper installation of shingles: You need to know whether you are installing the shingles into place properly. Are you sure that you are doing it the way recommended by the maker? A common issue with the DIY installation is that people fail to comply with the makers’ recommendations for installation. It is necessary because it protects the warranty.
So, is roofing a DIY project? The straightforward answer is No. You will not only have to make sure that the work is done correctly, you need the maker to stand behind the workmanship provided. Due to these reasons, you are advised to use the services of pros such as Done Rite Roofing Inc., especially in Florida. They will provide a free quote for the roofing project and you can avoid the risks associated with a DIY project.
Picture Credit: Pixabay