The rainy season can cause significant damage to the roofing on the houses specially when the rooftops have not been properly prepared for the rainy season. Frequent rainfall can damage the roof surface many times and cause large or small leakages that can result in extensive damage to the building and can also damage the equipment inside. So, it is significant that you take the necessary steps for preparing the roof of your building. This ensures that the roof is well-equipped to handle all the incumbent rain without any damages. Here are some ways to use roofing companies to avoid roof leaks.
1. Roof inspection: Begin your preparations by performing the roof inspection. You may walk along the rooftop and look for possible signs of damage, pools of water, and debris build-up. This allows you to decide what-if any repairs are required before the rain arrives and you can call you roofing company to make sure that you’re building remains undamaged.
2. Repairing damaged shingles: The roof shingles are the first line of defense for the interiors at the time of the rainy season. Check for small rips and tears which allow the water inside and keep an eye on the signs of damage such as shrinking, cracking, or warping. In case you are not sure whether the shingles need a repair or not, call your roofing company to decide the extent of damage and costing. In case your roofing has seen better times and now you can see damaged surfaces it will be a good idea to get a new surface laid before the beginning of the rainy season. There are many material options available for shingled roofing.
3. Clean the gutters: Excessive rain means that your gutters are under severe pressure and now is the time to check them for any possible blockages and clean them if required. If you do not clean them in time water may get backed up and pool on the surface of the roof. Therefore ensure that the gutters are free from debris before the beginning of the rainy season.
4. Check the flashing: In most cases, the flashing of the houses is protective against the natural elements however, you need to check it to ensure that it is not damaged. Cracks, holes, and rusting build up over time can cause leakages if they are left unchecked in the rainy seasons. Check all the flashing on the top of the roof and replace as required.
5. Nearby trees maintenance: It there are any trees near the rooftop, there is a possibility of significant damage to the roof during the rains and storms if some of the overhanging branches break up. Therefore evaluate the distance of the tree branches from the roof and if there is any possibility of these branches falling on the roof, trim them.
6. Seal the skylights: In case your house has skylights ensure that they are correctly sealed and secured in their place. When these skylights are not sealed correctly they may allow the heat from the interior to escape outside thereby increasing your energy bills. Incorrectly sealed skylights may also permit wind-driven rains to get inside the building. The incorrectly sealed skylights can also be blown off during heavy winds.
If you want to avoid additional costing and the extra hassles due to the roof leaks, it is better to get the roof inspected. With the summer rains just around the corner, you may get a roofing company such as Done Rite Roofing Inc. to inspect the roof for leakage. For more detailed guidance regarding the roof leaks, you can get in touch with the roofers especially if you live in the Pinellas area.
Picture Credit: Pixabay